About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Anderlecht assistant manager Davies defends Kompany over sack talkby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveAnderlecht assistant manager Simon Davies has defended the work of player-boss Vincent Kompany.There’s talk the former Manchester City pair could be sacked if they lose in the Cup tonight against Beerschot.Davies said, “Vinnie works very hard for the club to bring us back to where Anderlecht should be. “We will reverse this and get results quickly.”The injuries, the many young players and the new system cost us a lot of time. It is a process that requires a lot of time and effort. Together with my staff we continue to focus on the process. But talking about it is easy, of course, we have to show it on the field.”
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Klopp admits Liverpool unlikely to break Man City recordby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveJurgen Klopp thinks it is unlikely Liverpool will break Manchester City’s record for most consecutive Premier League wins.The Reds made 16 with the win over Sheffield United on Saturday, two shy of City’s record of 18.Asked about the possibility of winning 18 straight games, he said: “(There are) interesting games coming up. It doesn’t sound too likely. But we will try and first and foremost Salzburg and then Leicester.”Then it is the international break and hopefully everybody comes back healthy. That is most important.Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah will play against each other in Singapore, very interesting game obviously, it’s not qualification for anything. So hopefully everyone comes back healthy and then we try to prepare for Man United.”He added: “I try to understand how other people think about things but from the way I think about things I’m not interested in the number to be honest. It’s just a number.”So, you only can create a streak like this if you’re always in the next job. The next job is Salzburg which is a different competition and then Leicester City and that will be difficult.”
AMES, IA – JANUARY 7: A Nike logo is visible on a basketball before the match-up between the Iowa State Cyclones and the Baylor Bears on January 7, 2014 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa. (Photo by Matthew Holst/Getty Images)It’s a good time to be a college basketball fan in Iowa. The Iowa Hawkeyes are No. 3 in the AP Poll and No. 4 in the Coaches’ Poll, and Iowa State may be back on the rise after a big home win on Monday night against Kansas. After the game, governor Terry Branstad made his way to the Cyclones locker room. There, he was convinced to hit “the dab,” which is still a dance that people are doing.I’m a bit disappointed that they didn’t get him to “run off on da plug twice,” but its probably for the best.
Former Texas basketball star Kevin Durant is back on campus to help cheer on the Longhorns against UTEP Saturday night.NBA superstar Kevin Durant, who left the Oklahoma City Thunder for the Golden State Warriors his past summer, was once a college basketball star in Texas. In Durant’s one year in Austin, he averaged a ridiculous 25.8 points and 11.1 rebounds per contest. Saturday night, he’s back on campus.Texas dropped video of Durant tossing a pigskin ahead of the team’s contest against UTEP. It looks like he has a pretty good arm.Does @KDTrey5 have any eligibility left? Welcome back to the 40 Acres! #HookEm pic.twitter.com/VhPHya1qGx— Texas Football (@Longhorn_FB) September 10, 2016We’ll see if Texas can do Durant proud. The Longhorns scored a huge win over Notre Dame last week.
Australia will take on Brazil in their second group match at the Women’s World Cup on June 14 (2am AEST) with the action taking place in Montpellier at the Stade de la Mosson.The Matildas began their tournament with a shock 2-1 loss to Italy and must bounce back quickly to avoid an early exit from France.Brazil meanwhile made light work of Jamaica in their opening game as they claimed a 3-0 win with Cristiane becoming the oldest person to score a World Cup hat-trick. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? While now facing a battle to make the knockout stages, Australia have a good recent record against the Brazilians and could get their campaign back on track on Friday morning. Game Australia vs Brazil Date Friday, June 14 Time 2:00 am AEST Stream (AUS only) Optus Sport TV Channel, Live Stream & How To Watch Every Matildas match at the Women’s World Cup, including Australia’s match against Italy, is available live and free on SBS. For those looking to stream the match, Optus Sport will also be showing every match of the tournament. The platform requires a monthly subscription of $14.99 for non-Optus customers. AUS TV channel Online stream SBS Optus Sport Squads & Team News Position Australia squad Goalkeepers Williams, Arnold, Micah Defenders Simon, Polkinghorne, Roestbakken, Catley, Kennedy, Carpenter, Allen Midfielders Luik, Logarzo, Kellond-Knight, Van Egmond, Yallop, Gorry, Harrison Forwards Foord, Kerr, Fowler, Raso, Gielnik, De Vanna Possible Matildas XI: Williams, Carpenter, Polkinghorne, Kennedy, Catley, Kellond-Knight, Yallop, Logarzo, Raso, Foord, Kerr. Position Brazil squad Goalkeepers Barbara, Villares, Izidoro Defenders Poliana, Limeira, Tayla, Tamires, Santos, Katheleen, Martins, Monica Midfielders Thaisa, Formiga, Andressinha, Luana Forwards Alves, Debinha, Marta, Cristiane, Beatriz, Ludmila, Raquel, Geyse Betting & Match Odds Despite losing their opening match, Australia are favourites to win this match, going at odds of $2.10.Brazil meanwhile are valued at $3 with the draw going at $3.40. All odds courtesy of sportsbet and correct at time of publishing. Match Preview Italy broke Australian hearts on Sunday with a 95th-minute winner providing the ultimate wake-up call for Ante Milicic’s side. The Matildas were strong favourites to beat a side ranked nine places below them, but struggled throughout and put in a particularly shaky second-half performance. The 2-1 loss leaves Australia in desperate need of a positive result against Brazil, who proved far too strong for Jamaica in their opening match.Brazil arrived in France on the back of nine straight losses but never looked at risk of tripping up against their lowly-ranked opponents.Though Australia find themselves fighting an uphill battle to make the knockout stages, they will take solace in their strong recent record against Brazil.In their last clash, the Matildas beat the South Americans 3-1 and they have now won their past four meetings.Australia also proved Brazil’s undoing at the 2015 World Cup as they claimed a 1-0 win in their last 16 encounter. While that history may give the Matildas a mental edge, their recent form leaves plenty to be desired with the side losing their past three games and conceding 10 goals during that span.With World Cup progress on the line, Australia will be hoping to find form at the right time, but if not, expect Brazil to happily send them packing.
Juventus forward Douglas Costa has hinted at a future move to the Premier League, with Manchester United currently being linked with an approach for the Brazilian.Questions have been asked of the 28-year-old’s future in Turin amid a lack of regular game time and another change in the dugout.Under Massimiliano Allegri in 2018-19, Costa was given just 10 Serie A starts as the Bianconeri swept to an eighth successive title triumph. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? A new man has now arrived at the helm, with Maurizio Sarri having inherited the coaching reins.Costa could come back into favour under a new boss, but continues to spark exit talk with the summer transfer window open.Old Trafford has been mooted as a potential landing spot and a switch to England does hold some appeal to a proven South American star.He told the Express when quizzed on whether he could see himself in the Premier League: “Maybe one day.“But I don’t think I will leave now.”Costa is currently tied to a long-term contract with Juve and has no intention of breaking that agreement in 2019.He added: “I have three more years at Juventus.“Right now I do not have any option to get out of Juventus. We have a new coach and I look forward to working with him.”Sarri has suggested that he will find a role for Costa within his plans.The former Napoli and Chelsea boss is currently in the process of assessing those at his disposal, but believes there will be regular minutes for those considered to boast match-winning talent.Sarri told reporters at his official unveiling: “When you have a player with the qualities of Paulo [Dybala] or Cristiano [Ronaldo], they can play in any role.“What can change is only the interpretation of the role.“I’ll probably talk to two or three players before the start of the season to share ideas, compare and understand the way they think and their characteristics.“You have to start with the talented players who can make the difference like Cristiano, Paulo and Douglas, and build around them.”
Rafael Benitez has revealed he has already had more meetings with club officials in one week with Dalian Yifang than he did during three years at Newcastle United.Benitez left the Magpies at the end of June when his contract expired and took the surprise decision to continue his coaching career in the Chinese Super League.After just seven days in the new job, Benitez already feels more valued behind the scenes as he is in regular dialogue with Dalian’s hierarchy – something that was not the case with Newcastle owner Mike Ashley and managing director Lee Charnley. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare “Since the moment of our arrival we have really been touched by the kindness and respect that we have been shown,” the Spaniard wrote in a blog post on his personal website.”As we all know from experience, in football, just as in everyday life, when people show you respect and affection and do everything they can to make things easier for you, life is much happier, even when you face difficult moments. “I must say that I have had more meetings with the chairman, the president and the general manager this week than I had in three years at Newcastle. “They haven’t just been work meetings, rather signs of respect in which we have been able to appreciate the differences and similarities in our cultures.”Benitez got his reign off to a positive start on the field with a 3-1 win over Henan Jianye on Sunday.The former Liverpool, Inter and Real Madrid boss revealed he is enjoying the challenge that comes with coaching in another country.”We’ve hardly been in China for a week and I have seen and experienced so much for the first time, it could easily have already been a month,” he continued.”My coaching team and I have visited so many countries in the past and we’ve worked for years in Spain, Italy and England. But this experience is like no other. “Before leading a training session or managing a match I have found some challenges that I haven’t experienced in the other countries where I have worked or visited.”Most of the players and the people around you don’t understand anything you say and vice versa, so you need a translator by your side at all times, even to transmit the smallest correction in training.”
Victor Mollejo has set himself the target of becoming a regular for Atletico Madrid after breaking into the first team last season.The 18-year-old winger featured four times for Atletico in the second half of 2018-19, although each of those appearances came from the substitutes’ bench.Big things are expected of the academy product, who became the first player born in the 21st century to play for the Spanish side when used by Diego Simeone in a friendly win over Leganes in August 2017 at the age of 16. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? And Mollejo, part of Spain’s European Under-19 Championship squad, expects more first-team chances to come his way this coming season in what is shaping up to be a new era for Atletico.”I think in the end the opportunities will come,” he told Marca. “In some clubs it is more complicated but I think the opportunity will end up coming. “My dream is to be at Atletico all my life. It’s true that I have already made my debut but I want to be part of the first team so I have to work and take advantage of those opportunities that I have. The dream of most of us here is to play in Spain and succeed here.”I have not talked to [Simeone] yet. The club has wished me good luck for the European Championship and we’ll talk about it later, I suppose.”Atletico will have a different look to them in 2019-20 following star forward Antoine Griezmann’s move to Barcelona, while Lucas Hernandez, Rodri and Diego Godin have also departed the Wanda Metropolitano.But Mollejo believes last season’s runners-up in La Liga will be even stronger this time around after adding Marcos Llorente, Felipe, Hector Herrera, Renan Lodi and Ivan Saponjic to their squad, alongside €126 million (£113m/$142m) teenager Joao Felix.”The club is growing. You are seeing that with the signings,” he added.”It is a source of pride for all the fans. Atletico are making great signings and they will contribute a lot to the club.”
NEW ORLEANS, LA – JANUARY 01: An Ohio State Buckeye helmet is seen on the sidelines prior to the start of the game during the All State Sugar Bowl at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on January 1, 2015 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)Ohio State announced on Sunday night that its investigation into Urban Meyer and the Buckeyes’ program regarding the handling of domestic violence accusations against Zach Smith would be completed within two weeks.So, there is still a lot of time to go until we likely learn anything definitive regarding what exactly happened and what is to come for Meyer’s future in Columbus.However, interesting details regarding the investigation are starting to leak out.USA TODAY is reporting that Smith, who was fired by Ohio State in July, has not yet been contacted.From the report:Investigators the Ohio State Board of Trustees leading the inquiry into Urban Meyer’s handling of domestic violence allegations made against Zach Smith have yet to reach out to the since-fired assistant coach, Smith’s attorney told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday.The same investigators, however, have had “very preliminary communications” with Powell, Ohio, police officials, a city spokesperson told USA TODAY Sports.ESPN reported on Wednesday night that Powell Police, by law, was not releasing sealed documents regarding the allegations against Smith since he was never arrested.Stay tuned for more updates.
INDIANAPOLIS, IN – DECEMBER 02: Head coach Urban Meyer of the Ohio State Buckeyes looks on as they play the Wisconsin Badgers during the second half of the the Big Ten Championship game at Lucas Oil Stadium on December 2, 2017 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)An Urban Meyer decision at Ohio State is coming soon. The school announced this afternoon that its Board of Trustees is meeting on Wednesday morning to discuss the findings of the investigation and what to do moving forward. An official announcement on Meyer’s status is expected to come on Wednesday or Thursday.Ohio State released the following statement:The investigative team will verbally share its findings to the board today in an informational briefing. The board will not deliberate or discuss any public business or make any decisions today based on the information presented during the session. Today’s briefing is to ensure that board members are adequately prepared to discuss this matter at Wednesday’s meeting.The Columbus Dispatch is reporting that the “recommended punishment” for Meyer will probably be a suspension. It’s possible that the punishment could include “time served.”“Two sources connected to the investigation said the likely recommendation is a suspension for Meyer. Drake and the board could also opt for a “time served” punishment since Meyer has been removed from football activities for more than two weeks,” The Dispatch reports.Meyer has been on paid administrative leave since Wednesday, Aug. 1. He’s missed the entirety of fall camp so far. If he were to be re-instated with no further punishment this Wednesday, it would mean he would’ve served a three-week paid suspension.If Meyer were to get suspended for a longer period of time, it would likely include a game or two. Here’s what Ohio State’s early season schedule looks like:Sept. 1 vs. Oregon StateSept. 8 vs. RutgersSept. 15 at TCUSept. 22 vs. TulaneIt’s difficult to imagine Meyer receiving more than a four-game suspension. If true, this would mean he’d return, at the latest, by the massive Sept. 29 game at Penn State.