Manchester City team news v Sunderland: line up for League Cup clash – Predicted starting XI

first_img 11 11 42. Yaya Toure (cental midfield) 8. Samir Nasri (left-side midfield) 11 6. Fernando (central midfield) – take a look at the full line up, in squad number order, by clicking the arrow above! And let us know what you think of our predicted Man City team by leaving a comment below 14. Wilfried Bony (striker) 13. Willy Caballero (goalkeeper) 30. Nicolas Otamendi (centre-back) 72. Kelechi Iheanacho (striker) 11 Unassigned – Pablo Maffeo (right-back) 26. Martin Demichelis (centre-back) Two defeats in a row have got Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini thinking.They looked almost unstoppable before Juventus and West Ham rolled up to the Etihad and dished out consecutive 2-1 defeats last week.Humbled, the Chilean will be looking to change things up going into their League Cup clash with Sunderland and he may well use this opportunity to hand a number of youngsters and fringe stars some game time.Eliaquim Mangala is a doubt for the match, while David Silva has a calf problem which will keep him out, but who will come in for the duo? talkSPORT takes a look.Click the right arrow to see our predicted Manchester City XI against Sunderland… 11 11 11 11 11 27. Patrick Roberts (right-side midfield) 11 11 11. Aleksandar Kolarov (left-back) last_img read more

‘Right now Jose Mourinho is NOT coming back to Real Madrid’, insist Florentino Perez

first_img Florentino Perez 1 Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has denied the club are planning a move to make Jose Mourinho their next manager.Mourinho had three years in charge at the Bernabeu before leaving in 2013 and returning to England for a second spell in charge of Chelsea.But after Mourinho departed Chelsea on Thursday, leaving last season’s Premier League champions just a point outside the relegation zone, the Madrid connection has been again raised.Asked about Mourinho in an interview with Spanish radio station Cadena Ser, Perez said: “Nobody can predict the future but right now he is not going to come to Madrid.”With Rafael Benitez at the helm, Madrid have struggled lately and stand five points behind co-leaders Barcelona and Atletico Madrid in the Primera Division.“Benitez is capable of solving the problems we have,” said Perez. “That’s the only option we’re considering.“We have very good memories of Mourinho, he raised our competitive level (when he was manager).”last_img read more

4,500 acre Malibu fire is 80 percent contained

first_imgMALIBU – Headed into Day Four, the 4,500-acre Malibu fire was about 80 percent contained today, with no active flames reported. Six homes, including a landmark castle and at least three oceanfront homes, the Malibu Presbyterian Church and five businesses in the Malibu Colony shopping center were destroyed in the early hours of the blaze, which roared out of Malibu Canyon before dawn on Sunday. All together, 22 structures were damaged or destroyed. The fire, which was burning east from Malibu Canyon, was halted before reaching Las Flores Canyon. How the fire started has not been determined, but it is believed to have been sparked near Malibu Canyon and Piuma roads by power lines blown down by Santa Ana winds that were clocked at hurricane force in the area. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Some canyon roads were reopened today, and some of the roughly 1,500 evacuees were being allowed to go home. No serious injuries were reported in connection with the fire. last_img read more

GOVERNOR SIGNS TOXIC-TOY BAN

first_imgToys and baby products that contain more than a trace amount of a chemical that scientists have linked to developmental problems will be banned in California under legislation Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed Sunday before a midnight deadline. His endorsement of the phthalate ban – beginning in 2009 – makes California the first state to impose severe limits on a chemical that is widely used in plastics products such as baby bottles, soft baby books, teething rings, plastic bath ducks and other toys, said Assemblywoman Fiona Ma, D-San Francisco, the bill’s author. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Turkish lawmakers OK Iraq incursion

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Lawmakers voted 507-19 in favor of empowering the government to order the military to cross into Iraq during a one-year period, Parliament Speaker Koksal Toptan said. They then burst into applause. Turkish leaders have stressed that an offensive against the rebels of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or PKK, would not immediately follow the authorization. In Washington, President Bush said the United States was making clear to Turkey it should not send a massive number of troops into Iraq. Bush said Turkey has had troops stationed in Iraq “for quite a while.” “We don’t think it’s in their interest to send more troops in.” Bush also noted that Tariq al-Hashimi, one of Iraq’s vice presidents, was in Istanbul expressing that Iraq shares Turkey’s concerns about terrorist activities, but that there’s a better way to deal with the issue than sending more troops into Iraq. BORDER: Government is authorized to launch offensive against Kurdish rebels. By Suzan Fraser THE ASSOCIATED PRESS ANKARA, Turkey – Parliament on Wednesday overwhelmingly approved a possible cross-border offensive against Kurdish rebels in northern Iraq, although the government appears willing to give diplomatic pressure on the U.S.-backed Iraqi administration more time to work. “What I’m telling you is that there’s a lot of dialogue going on and that’s positive,” he said. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan appeared to dismiss Bush’s comments. “What’s important is the parliament’s decision, not what people say,” private NTV television quoted him as saying. Wednesday’s motion authorizing an attack into Iraq sometime in the next year had the backing from all of Turkey’s parliamentary parties except a Kurdish party. Oil prices surged to a $89 a barrel after the vote, which overshadowed a U.S. government report that crude oil and gasoline inventories rose more than expected last week. Hours before the vote, Iraq Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki called his Turkish counterpart to say that his government was determined to halt the “terrorist activities” of the PKK on Iraqi territory, and he emphasized the need for the two nations to continue to talk, his office said.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Indictment: Sheriff’s scheme began early

first_imgHaidl’s and Hoffman’s attorneys didn’t return calls for comment. Jaramillo’s attorney said only that his client was cooperating with prosecutors. Deborah Carona released a statement expressing her innocence.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! According to the indictment, here’s how it happened. In the spring of 1998, Carona rose from relative obscurity as county marshal to run for sheriff in the nation’s fifth-largest department. As the election approached, Haidl, a wealthy businessman, solicited others for contributions to Carona’s campaign and then reimbursed them to cover the money trail. The day before the election, Haidl made a $110,000 loan to Jaramillo and Carona’s alleged lover, Debra Victoria Hoffman, who ran a law office together. After Carona won, Haidl sent the Caronas and Jaramillos on a paid-for trip to Lake Tahoe. Carona rewarded Haidl handsomely for his generosity, according to authorities. Within months, he had successfully lobbied to change departmental rules so Haidl could be an assistant sheriff. Haidl was put in charge of a new program and began handing out sheriff’s badges and concealed weapons permits to friends and family in what authorities have called a pay-to-play scheme. Around that time, the threesome’s alleged plotting expanded to include a fourth person, an attorney named Joe Cavallo who would later represent Haidl’s son, Gregory, in a gang rape case. Cavallo, who recently pleaded guilty in state court to running an unrelated bail bonds kickback scheme, is identified only as J.G.C. in the indictment and is not charged. Carona, Haidl and Jaramillo allegedly conspired to send cases to Cavallo in return for a share of the legal fees. They hoped to use the money to repay the $110,000 to Carona’s girlfriend for her law firm, prosecutors say. By Gillian Flaccus The Associated Press When Michael S. Carona was elected Orange County sheriff, he surrounded himself with his two good friends, Donald Haidl and George Jaramillo. Two women, Carona’s wife, Deborah, and his alleged mistress would later join the club as well, federal prosecutors now say. Those prosecutors unsealed a sweeping indictment last week that lays out a step-by-step theory of how Carona and his friends gamed the system and pocketed nearly $700,000 in bribes and kickbacks. Carona, who sat through a court hearing in handcuffs last week, has denied the charges and says he will be vindicated in his trial. last_img read more

A5 ROAD FURORE: FIANNA FAIL DIDN’T HAVE THE MONEY WHEN THEY MADE PLEDGE, SAYS McHUGH

first_imgTHE Government has offered the northern executive Stg£50 (€60M) towards keeping the A5 project alive, Deputy Joe McHugh said today, as he revealed that the last government hadn’t set aside any cash for the scheme.Deputy McHugh was speaking as Taoiseach Enda Kenny said his government was committed to the 55 mile upgrade which would create a new link between Dublin and the North West at an estimated cost of €900M.The Taoiseach publicly pledging to spend hundreds of millions of Euros to build the stretch of motorway in May. But the finances are no longer available.Deputy McHugh blamed the last Fianna Fail government for the crisis, insisting: “This €400M that was pledged by the last government was done so in the knowledge that the money wasn’t actually in any of their development plans.“It wasn’t in any of their (Fianna Fail) estimates.”“The Taoiseach has now confirmed our commitment to £50M towards the scheme between next year and 2016.” He said the Government has asked the Stormont executive to consider what to do next, amid fears that the Belfast administration may be forced to spend their £400M pledge on other projects in case the money is taken back off them by the Westminster government.© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content and Ideas including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldaily Sell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.comA5 ROAD FURORE: FIANNA FAIL DIDN’T HAVE THE MONEY WHEN THEY MADE PLEDGE, SAYS McHUGH was last modified: November 11th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:a5 road projectdeputy joe mchughlast_img read more

Serie A giants line up summer swoop for Sunderland star

first_img1 Roma are eyeing up a move for Sunderland left-back Patrick van Aanholt, according to reports in Italy.The Dutch international has been a standout performer during a difficult season for the Black Cats and the north east club will struggle to keep hold of him should they be relegated to the Championship.According to Tutto Mercato, Roma want to sign on-loan full-back Lucas Digne on a permanent basis from Paris Saint-Germain this summer but will turn their attentions to landing Van Aanholt if that deal falls through.The former Chelsea man signed for Sunderland for £1.5m in 2014 and has emerged as a fans’ favourite at the Stadium of Light.The 25-year-old has made 35 appearances for club and country this season, netting on three occasions. But the defender is keeping his options open and a move to Italy, with the possibility of Champions League football next term, is likely to be enough to persuade Van Aanholt to sign on the dotted line. Patrick van Aanholt: The Netherlands left-back has made 35 appearances for club and country this season last_img read more

TRANSFER ALERT! Manchester United make move for Monaco midfielder Bernardo Silva

first_img1 Bernardo Silva in action for Monaco Manchester United have stepped up their interest in Monaco star Bernardo Silva, according to reports in Spain.The Premier League side have been scouting the attacking midfielder this season after being alerted to his talent during last summer’s European Under-21 Championship.The 21-year-old was named in the Team of the Tournament and has continued his fine form for Monaco.Silva has bagged seven goals this season and, according to Superdeporte, Manchester United are now ready to turn their interest into a concrete approach.With the summer transfer window fast approaching, interest in the Portugal international has grown and Valencia have already made an enquiry.As a result, Manchester United are ready to act now in the hope they can beat off any competition.last_img read more

Sharing Peninsula trails

first_imgA recent Question of the Week brought a flood of responses about Peninsula nature trails and whether hikers, equestrians and bicyclists should be able co-exist on newly acquired open-space lands in Rancho Palos Verdes. After holding a series of public meetings, the city’s Public Use Master Plan Committee will soon put forth its recommendations on trail access in the 1,200 acres of open space in the Portuguese Bend Nature Preserve. Although some people worry about the possibility of some bicyclists leaving established trails and damaging habitat, we believe those involved in setting rules in the preserve should abide by a single overarching philosophy: that policies should encourage multi-uses of as many trails as possible. Some trails, of course, may need to be restricted to hiking only due to safety reasons, but it does make sense to allow responsible mountain bikers and equestrians to share the trails. After all, much of this land was purchased using public funds or grants of one kind or another. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champPublic policies should ensure that the taxpayers whose funds made the preserves a reality get something in return. That means making the land as open as possible to a wide variety of recreational uses. This promotes not only physical fitness but a respect for the land and hopefully a sense of shared conservation values. Many cycling enthusiasts have written in noting that studies have shown they have less of an impact on established trails than the other uses. Indeed, many cycling groups in California have volunteered their time to maintain such trails and educate fellow riders about etiquette while riding along these trails. Simple biking rules such as not speeding past trail users, staying on established trails, not leaving trash behind and yielding to hikers and equestrians should minimize problems on trails that are designated for multi-uses. The situation might be compared to portions of The Strand where bicyclists, pedestrians and inline skaters must share the pavement. There may be occasional problems, and some enforcement issues may need to be worked out. But we would hope that erring on the side of a multi-use policy is much more desirable than restricting access. After all, these open spaces are of only limited value if they cannot be enjoyed by local residents and visitors alike. Managed correctly, these trails should add to the quality of life in the South Bay. last_img read more