View Comments Rise and shine, San Diego! Bright Star, a new musical by Steve Martin and Edie Brickell, will receive its world premiere at San Diego’s Old Globe Theatre this fall. According to U-T San Diego, the production will be directed by Tony winner Walter Bobbie and run from September 13 through November 2. As previously reported, The Old Globe produced a workshop of the tuner earlier this year. In a statement true to form, Martin said that the project “premiering at the wonderful Old Globe in San Diego where Shakespeare first performed his plays fills me with humility.” The show, which features music by Martin and Brickell, lyrics by Brickell and a book by Martin, is set in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina and travels between 1945 and 1923, as a young man returns from war and uncovers hidden yearnings and dark secrets about his past. The bluegrass score includes songs from Martin and Brickwell’s album Love Has Come For You.
Governor Announces Forums to Focus on Affordability and The Vermont Way ForwardGovernor Jim Douglas has announced he will hold Town Meeting style forums in focusing on making Vermont more affordable and steps the Legislature should take this year to build a stronger, more innovative economy.Governor Douglas said Vermonters care deeply about the Affordability Agenda proposals to reduce property taxes and make homeownership and higher education more affordableand about building a stronger, more innovative economy. Thats why he wants to provide opportunities for Vermonters to express their point of view on these issues, and urge the Legislature to take action, he said.I look forward to visiting every region of Vermont to host Accountability Forums that center on the Affordability Agendaproperty taxes, homeownership and higher educationas well as The Vermont Way Forward, our four-part plan of creating an e-state, providing environmental leadership, job creation and innovative education, the Governor said. These forums will offer Vermonters an opportunity to communicate their expectations regarding these issuesand othersdirectly to me, and I will again convey these expectations to the Legislature.The first of these forums will be held in the Northeast Kingdom the evening of Wednesday, March 7 and the remainder will be announced as theyre scheduled.I very much look forward to these forums. More importantly, I look forward to helping the Legislature focus on those issue that are most crucial to the future prosperity of the people of Vermont, the Governor said.
For more than 40 years, the Vermont Chamber of Commerce has recognized an outstanding citizen with this prestigious award. Nomination material will be collected through July 30, and a special selection committee will meet soon thereafter to select this year’s recipient.Nominees are judged on three criteria: This award is presented to a Vermonter who has made major contributions to the progress and betterment of the Green Mountain State; has been distinguished through outstanding service to his or her community and region; and in the judgment of the selection committee, typifies the true spirit of service and self-sacrifice in representing the finest ideals of Vermont citizenship.The 2010 Citizen of the Year will be honored with a special recognition dinner in the fall. The application includes a nomination form, a brief biographical sketch of the nominee, and supporting testimonials. A selection committee comprised of Vermont Chamber members and past award winners will select this year’s recipient.Last year’s Vermont Chamber of Commerce Citizen of the Year was Mr. Ed Colodny of Burlington.Please contact Antonia Opitz, Director of Events with any questions or to receive a nomination form at email@example.com(link sends e-mail) or call (802) 223-0603. You can also fill out a nomination form online at: http://admin.vtexpo.com/upload/photos/3182010_Nomination_Form.pdf(link is external)
On behalf of BRO… from Blue Ridge Outdoors on Vimeo.The newest member of the Blue Ridge Outdoors team, Travel Editor Jess Daddio, had a rough introduction to her new job: she traveled to Trail Days in Damascus to represent the magazine as part of the BRO Roadshow. A recent graduate of Emory and Henry College and a southwest Virginia native, she is intimately familiar with the region, so Saturday’s tragic accident during the Hikers Parade was especially heart-wrenching for her and for us. We are pulling for the victims involved and hope for a speedy recovery for all in what appears to be purely a combination of bad timing and bad luck. One thing we know for sure is that this supremely unfortunate accident will not stop Trail Days and will not stop anyone from attempting to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. The trail hiking community will rally around the victims, those involved, and those first responders who reacted quickly and bravely to ensure the damage to life was limited. Thank you to all who lent a hand.Below are some photos from the event both pre- and post- parade Jess sent from the field.
Social media users have aired their collective disappointment and bewilderment at the one-year prison sentence demanded for police officers who allegedly attacked Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) investigator Novel Baswedan through sarcastic videos and memes.One particular video, posted by young comedian Bintang Emon on Friday, went viral over the weekend and drew praise from Novel himself. In the video, Emon poked fun at the prosecutors’ insistence that the defendants in the case – Chief Brig. Ronny Bugis and Brig. Rahmat Kadir – had ‘accidentally’ thrown sulfuric acid in Novel’s face in April 2017, claiming that they had initially aimed for his torso. The skit was met with praise among fellow netizens and celebrities, with some lauding Emon’s decision to use his penchant for humor to speak up about the notoriously difficult case.“So cool of you to speak up about this kind of topic. Respect,” singer Vidi Aldiano commented on the video.“Great, someone finally dares [to speak up]. He’s going to have to make an apology video at the Jakarta Police soon,” filmmaker Ernest Prakasa jokingly responded to the video, in reference to the recent trend of internet influencers publicly apologizing for past controversies.Novel himself also went on the record as saying that he found Emon’s video amusing.“That boy is ingenious,” he said on Saturday as quoted by tempo.co.Meanwhile, netizens on Twitter have also conveyed their astonishment at the latest development in Novel’s long-gestating case through memes.Twitter user @davadntrt posted an illustration of a cartoon character lying awake in their bed, while ruminating on the possibility of someone accidentally spilling acid on another person’s face.me rn.#NovelBaswedan pic.twitter.com/8U6NLmrHMl— Son Of Dadang (@davadntrt) June 12, 2020“How could someone ACCIDENTALLY throw acid on another person’s face?” the character said in a thought bubble.Another user, @trimuktiwijaya, brought up the issue in a comic strip featuring Nickelodeon’s popular cartoon character Spongebob Squarepants. In the comic, Spongebob defends himself from a court verdict by claiming that he had only accidentally committed the offenses. The judge listens and decides to reduce the punishment to just one year in prison.#GakSengaja ke tweet pic.twitter.com/vzyOyEbU3y— 3mkt (@trimuktiwijaya) June 13, 2020“I tweeted this by accident,” @trimuktiwijaya wrote in the caption.Prosecutors demanded on Friday that defendants Ronny and Rahmat be given one-year prison terms for their involvement in the acid attack on Novel, in which the KPK investigator lost an eye.Ronny and Rahmat have been accused of attacking Novel because of the latter’s work as an investigator for the KPK, which saw several powerful and corrupt politicians and government officials as well as police officers end up behind bars. Shortly after he was arrested, Ronny said that he considered Novel, who previously served as a police officer, a traitor.Topics : “We live on Earth, gravity [pulls objects] downwards. There’s no way that [liquid] splashed onto the body could find its way to the face,” the comedian quipped in the video.“Unless Pak Novel Baswedan walked [while performing] a handstand. In that case, you may protest to the judge: ‘Your Honor, I initially aimed for his body, but because he was [walking on his hands], the acid was spilled onto his face.’”Emon’s video has since drawn more than 7 million views on Instagram alone as of Sunday afternoon. Clips of his skit have also been reposted on Twitter, giving rise to the trending topic “Gak Sengaja” (by accident) on the platform.
The confectionery category has fared well over the last year despite media attention around sugar, delivering value growth as shoppers continue to trade up.,The Grocer’s Guide To Confectionery helps you discover more about the retail opportunities for this diverse and innovative category as well as the branded players who can help you transform your fixture.Download this free report to find out more.The Grocer’s Guide To Confectionery is an advertising supplement to The Grocer,DownloadsGuideToConfectioneryPDF, Size 14.37 mb
The Testing Expertise and Access for Marine Energy Research (TEAMER) program will begin accepting applications for testing and expertise support on 26 May. Categories: TEAMER program will launch three to four annual open funding calls for three years and distribute approximately $13 million. TEAMER Program Gears for Its First RFTS Call Open water testing is not available for RFTS 1. Applicants can apply to receive technical support from pre-approved testing and expertise facilities listed on the TEAMER Facility Network page. This will be done through Requests for Technical Support (RFTS), to support marine renewable energy testing and development projects. It provides access facilities and expertise to solve challenges, build knowledge, foster innovation, and drive commercialization. Authorities & Government Announced by the US DOE last year, TEAMER’s mission is to accelerate the viability of marine renewables. However, TEAMER plans to support open water and field testing in future RFTS. The RFTS 1 application period will open on 26 May and remain open through 31 July 2020. Posted: 6 months ago Posted: 6 months ago Upon acceptance, applicants will work with the facility to complete a thorough test plan prior to the access period. Applicants need to consult their 1-2 facilities of interest prior to applying to ensure their RFTS is within the capabilities of the facility and aligns with the goals of the TEAMER program.
West London Sport has teamed up with Thomas Cook Sport, official travel partner of Chelsea FC, to offer Blues fans the chance to win a pair of tickets to their next Premier League home game against Bolton Wanderers on Saturday 25 February.André Villas-Boas will be hoping for all three points against the Trotters…and you could be at Stamford Bridge to watch all the action LIVE!We have five pairs of tickets to give away and to be in with a chance of winning, simply answer the following question:AdChoices广告Which recent Chelsea signing previously played for Bolton?a. John Terryb. Gary Cahillc. Ashley ColeE-mail the correct answer to firstname.lastname@example.orgWinners will be randomly selected. The competition closes at 5pm today.Thomas Cook Sport is the UK’s leading sports tour operator and official travel partner of Chelsea FC, offering match breaks to Chelsea fans for the 2011/2012 season from £109 per person. This season, choose the winning tactic and book your 2011/12 match break by visiting www.thomascooksport.com or call the sales team on 0844 800 9900.You can also follow us on Twitter @thomascooksport and find us on Facebook at facebook.com/ThomasCookSportUK to keep up-to-date with all the latest competitions, special offers and news.Terms & Conditions1. The prize consists of two tickets (Chelsea end) to the game against Bolton Wanderers on Saturday 25 February 2012, for five winners. Kick-off is at 15.00.2. The package does not include travel to or from the ground or any hospitality at the ground.3. Fans are reminded that tickets are in the Chelsea end and seats are amongst home supporters. Please be aware that any vocal or visual support for the opposition will result in ejection from the stadium without compensation.4. Entrants are reminded that tickets are issued subject to Chelsea FC Regulations and the Conditions of Entry relevant to those tickets.5. Competition open to all UK residents with the exception of employees of Thomas Cook Sport Ltd, Chelsea FC or Hatch Communications, their immediate families, agents or anyone else associated with the administration.6. No cash alternative will be offered.7. The competition closes on 13 February.8. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the promoter reserves the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.9. The promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.10. All entrants must be willing to participate in publicity should they be a winner.11. We reserve the right at any time to cancel, modify or supersede the competition if, in our sole discretion, the competition is not capable of being conducted as specified in the competition rules.12. The promoter of this competition is either Thomas Cook Retail Limited, trading as Thomas Cook Sport or Airtrack (for UK departures), or Capitol Holdings Ltd, trading as Thomas Cook Sport (Ireland), for travel arrangements departing from the Republic of Ireland. Thomas Cook Retail Ltd registered office is The Thomas Cook Business Park, Coningsby Road, Peterborough PE3 8SB, and the company registration number is 00102630 England. Capitol Holdings Ltd registered office is 10B Beckett Way, Parkwest Business Park, Dublin 12, and company registration number is 163008. To discover more about Thomas Cook Sport, log on to www.thomascooksport.com
CARDIFF, Wales (Reuters) – England posted their highest World Cup total to overcome their Bangladesh hoodoo in style as they got back to winning ways with a crushing 106-run victory in Cardiff yesterday.England had lost their last two World Cup matches against Bangladesh, including the defeat that knocked them out of the 2015 tournament, but they had no such trouble in blustery conditions in south Wales.Jason Roy (153), who smashed the second highest World Cup score by an England batsman, and Jonny Bairstow (51) set England on their way, before Jos Buttler (64) took them past 300 and a late flurry from Chris Woakes and Liam Plunkett ensured a record 386 for six. In reply, pace bowler Jofra Archer struck early to remove Soumya Sarkar – the ball clipping the off stump before flying past the wicketkeeper all the way to the boundary without bouncing – before a run-a-ball century from Shakib Al Hasan helped Bangladesh recover.But they were bowled out for 280 as tournament favourites England hit back from their surprise loss to Pakistan in convincing style.“We knew that we would have to improve in order to win a tough game against Bangladesh,” England captain Eoin Morgan said. “And I think with the bat, in particular, we were outstanding. “He (Roy) is very intimidating to play against when he does score runs.”Roy and Bairstow put on the second-century opening partnership of this World Cup before Bairstow fell to a fine catch by Mehidy Hasan to make it 128-1 in the 20th over.Roy was not to be deterred, reaching his ninth ODI hundred off 92 balls, before passing 150 with three successive sixes, only to fall the very next ball chasing another big hit. “Jonny and I have been doing pretty well together over the last few years so we’ve got not too much to worry about,” man-of-the-match Roy said. “We’ll go out there and get the job done.”Buttler, moved up the order as England kept attacking, slammed four sixes in his quick-fire 64, passing 50 from just 33 balls – the joint fastest half-century at this World Cup. Morgan made 35 before being caught and Plunkett and Woakes then blasted 45 off the last 17 balls to help England post the seventh highest total in a World Cup.Buttler did not come out to keep wicket due to injury as Bangladesh got off to a shaky start with the bat, with Sarkar being spectacularly clean-bowled by Archer with just eight runs on the board.Shakib and Mushfiqur Rahim put on 107 for the third wicket before Mushfiqur fell six short of his 50, but Shakib’s eighth ODI century kept Bangladesh in with an outside chance. Nonetheless, what would have been a World Cup record run chase eluded Bangladesh, as the innings lost momentum and England eased home.“That total was too much; credit goes to England for the way they batted,” Bangladesh captain Mashrafe Mortaza said.England now have two wins from three games and next take on the West Indies on Friday. Bangladesh have one victory from three and play Sri Lanka on Tuesday.SCOREBOARDENGLAND innings J. Roy c Mashrafe Mortaza b Mehidy Miraz 153J. Bairstow c Mehidy Miraz b Mashrafe Mortaza 51J. Root b Mohammad Saifuddin 21J. Buttler c Soumya Sarkar b Mohammad Saifuddin 64E. Morgan (c) c Soumya Sarkar b Mehidy Miraz 35B. Stokes c Mashrafe Mortaza b Mustafizur Rahman 6C. Woakes not out 18L. Plunkett not out 27Extras: (lb-3, nb-1, w-7) 11Total: (6 wickets, 50 overs) 386Fall of wickets: 1-128, 2-205, 3-235, 4-330, 5-340, 6-341.Bowling: Shakib Al Hasan 10-0-71-0, Mashrafe Mortaza 10-0-68-1, Mohammad Saifuddin 9-0-78-2, Mustafizur Rahman 9-0-75-1, Mehidy Hasan Miraz 10-0-67-2, Mosaddek Hossain 2-0-24-0.BANGLADESH innings (target: 387 runs from 50 overs)Tamim Iqbal c Morgan b Wood 19Soumya Sarkar b Archer 2Shakib Al Hasan b Stokes 121Mushfiqur Rahim c Roy b Plunkett 44Mohammad Mithun c Bairstow b Rashid 0Mahmudullah c Bairstow b Wood 28Mosaddek Hossain c Archer b Stokes 26Mohammad Saifuddin b Stokes 5Mehidy Hasan Miraz c Bairstow b Archer 12Mashrafe Mortaza not out 4Mustafizur Rahman c Bairstow b Archer 0Extras: (lb 9, w 10) 19Total (all out; 48.5 overs) 280Fall of wickets: 1-8, 2-63, 3-169, 4-170, 5-219, 6-254, 7-261, 8-264, 9-280.Bowling: Woakes 8-0-67-0, Archer 8.5-2-29-3, Plunkett 8-0-36-1, Wood 8-0-52-2, Rashid 10-0-64-1, Stokes 6-1-23-3.
(Reuters) – ADO Den Haag manager, Alan Pardew, has denied reports stating he will receive a bonus for avoiding relegation after the Dutch season was terminated this week because of the COVID-19 pandemic.The decision to scrap the season meant ADO Den Haag, who were second from bottom in the table, seven points from the safety zone, will survive, having looked like going down.One British newspaper reported former West Ham United, Newcastle United, Southampton and Crystal Palace boss, Pardew, would receive a 100,000 pounds bonus payment.In a statement on the club’s website, however, the 58-year-old Pardew said: “If I was formally entitled to an amount, I would never want to receive it. In this difficult period, I would always return any bonus to the club, which will certainly find a good destination for it.”Pardew said he wanted the money given to Den Haag’s non-playing staff or donated to the Dutch health service.“I hope this clears up any misunderstandings caused by press reports,” he added.Pardew was appointed as manager of the Dutch minnows in December tasked with saving them from relegation. Yet with the relegation battle and the title fight being scrapped, the English coach can be said to have succeeded.Although he admitted: “Of course there is relief, but modesty is in order. I had the belief that we could accomplish our mission, we were not in good shape and we will never know if we would have succeeded.“We count our blessings and understand the frustrations at SC Cambuur and De Graafschap.”SC Cambur and De Graafschap were both set to gain promotion to the top flight from the Dutch second tier.