Chalice Becomes First Music Festival To Allow On-Site Recreational Cannabis Purchases

first_imgSince 2014, the Chalice Festival has celebrated music and marijuana in Southern California. In 2018, the gathering will become the first such festival to allow recreational marijuana to be purchased on site from legal vendors. Slated to take place at the San Bernadino County Fairgrounds in Victorville, CA, from July 13th to 15th, Chalice Festival will feature performances by Bassnectar, Ludacris, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Sizzla Kalonji, Curren$y, Cut Chemist, Pharcyde, and Thriftworks. While past events have catered to medical marijuana users and paraphernalia aficionados, this year’s event will allow on-site marijuana consumption and purchases for adults aged 21 and older. “On-site product vendors will be on hand to take advantage of the post-prohibition reality that legally mashes up recreational cannabis products with the large-scale music festival concept,” representatives from the festival reportedly said in a press release.Of course, the event will also showcase plenty glassblowers, hash makers, and street artists—just as it has since 2014. However, another thing that will set this year’s Chalice apart is the size. While the debut event drew 5,500 people to the fest, organizers are preparing for a crowd of at least 45,000 to show up in July.Voters in California approved a marijuana legalization initiative back in November of 2016, but the legal changes didn’t go into effect until January 1st, 2018. Once that happened, festival organizers around the state became eligible to apply for permits that allow them to host events where marijuana can be legally sold, smoked, and otherwise consumed, provided those events take place in one of 80 authorized county fair or district agricultural association properties in the state (such as the San Bernadino County Fairgrounds).Chalice has always been a marijuana-centric festival, so it’s no surprise that organizers have jumped at the chance to take advantage of California’s new approach to recreational marijuana. It’s a stark contrast with other Golden State festivals like Coachella, which won’t even allow attendees to bring their legally-acquired marijuana out to the festival grounds, let alone purchase it on site. “We’re expecting fifty to sixty thousand people this year, no exaggeration,” Chalice Founder Doug Dracup told Cannabis Now. “You know this isn’t just an opportunity for me, brands are bringing their A-game to really be seen and get put on the map. There are people coming from all over the world. For us, it’s just a crazy opportunity to show everybody what a legal cannabis festival looks like.”Tickets for the 2018 Chalice Festival are now on sale. Attendees must be 21 or older to enter the festival grounds.last_img read more

Vermont Chamber of Commerce seeks 2010 Citizen of the Year nominations

first_imgFor more than 40 years, the Vermont Chamber of Commerce has recognized an outstanding citizen with this prestigious award. Nomination material will be collected through July 30, and a special selection committee will meet soon thereafter to select this year’s recipient.Nominees are judged on three criteria: This award is presented to a Vermonter who has made major contributions to the progress and betterment of the Green Mountain State; has been distinguished through outstanding service to his or her community and region; and in the judgment of the selection committee, typifies the true spirit of service and self-sacrifice in representing the finest ideals of Vermont citizenship.The 2010 Citizen of the Year will be honored with a special recognition dinner in the fall. The application includes a nomination form, a brief biographical sketch of the nominee, and supporting testimonials. A selection committee comprised of Vermont Chamber members and past award winners will select this year’s recipient.Last year’s Vermont Chamber of Commerce Citizen of the Year was Mr. Ed Colodny of Burlington.Please contact Antonia Opitz, Director of Events with any questions or to receive a nomination form at [email protected](link sends e-mail) or call (802) 223-0603.  You can also fill out a nomination form online at: http://admin.vtexpo.com/upload/photos/3182010_Nomination_Form.pdf(link is external)last_img read more

Second playoff in Munster Minor hurling championship

first_imgPhoto © Electric Ireland The semi final line-up for the Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship will be completed tonight.Limerick faces Waterford in the second playoff at the Gaelic Grounds.Should Limerick prevail, they’ll face Clare on June 28th. While if Waterford progress, they’ll take on Tipperary on June 29th.last_img

Man accused of rape is arrested in Donegal

first_imgThe High Court has refused to grant bail to a Romanian man accused of raping a woman in Scotland in early 2017.Raul Covaci Novak was arrested in Donegal earlier this month on foot of a European Arrest Warrant issued by the Scottish Authorities. In the European Arrest Warrant seeking his surrender Novak, and another man, is accused of raping a young woman who was allegedly lured into a car thinking it was a taxi on 1 January 2017.The young woman was inebriated at the time of the alleged incident, the EAW states.Following the alleged incident, Novak was brought before Kirkaldy Court in Scotland and was granted bail.It is claimed he did not attend at court for his trial and fled to Romania.It is claimed that he subsequently moved to Ireland, and was living in the Letterkenny area in Co Donegal with a relative for about a year before his arrest earlier this month by the gardaí.Yesterday, Novak applied to be released on bail until the High Court has determined the extradition request.However, his application was refused by Justice Bronagh O’Hanlon.The judge said while Novak was entitled to a presumption of innocence in respect of the charges he is facing in Scotland the Judge said that based on the evidence given by the gardaí was not prepared to grant Novak bail.The state, represented by Ronan Kennedy BL had opposed the bail application, on grounds that Novak represented a flight risk, and due to the serious nature of the crimes, he is accused of.Evidence was given to the court by Detective Sergeant Jim Kirwan who said that Novak did not have any strong ties or assets in the jurisdiction and that the accused represented a strong flight risk.Novak, represented by Mark Lynam BL said his client was willing to abide by any bail conditions set down by the court and had offered a surety of €2000 which was a significant sum of money for him.The gardaí had his national identity card and he had no passport, his counsel added. His counsel said his client had family members living in Donegal.His client said he had left Scotland to return to Romania with his wife whose father died. He had contacted his solicitor in Scotland to say he would return to face the charges.Counsel said Novak’s Scottish solicitor had also informed him that it was too late to return to that jurisdiction voluntarily and a warrant for his arrest would be issued.After refusing Mr Novak bail, the judge remanded him in custody and he will appear before the High Court extradition list next month.Man accused of rape is arrested in Donegal was last modified: September 27th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more