Watch live here, 11:30 a.m. ET
David Yazbek Tapped for Fish in the DarkSo far we’ve been left somewhat in the dark about Larry David’s Fish in the Dark, which begins previews at Broadway’s Cort Theatre tonight. To keep the mystery up (and we can’t wait to see the show, we admit it!), we’ve been told purposefully little about the production’s plot and it turns out, creative team. Until David Yazbek’s recent tweet we had no idea that the Fully Monty and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels scribe would be doing the music for Fish. Yazbeck also revealed something that we’ve been longing to know about the play: “I got to tell you it’s really f**king funny.” Thank you for the update, Mr. Yazbek!Off-Broadway’s Big Love Delays First PreviewA little delay for Big Love off-Broadway. Owing to the recent winter storm and subsequent loss of rehearsal time, the Signature Theatre production has pushed back its first preview by a day—the modern adaptation of Aeschylus’ The Danaids will now begin performances on February 4. Written by Charles Mee and starring Rebecca Naomi Jones, Bobby Steggert and more, the show will still officially open on February 23 and run through March 15.Michael Ball Will Headline Mack & MabelAcross the pond, West End fave and Broadway alum Michael Ball (The Woman in White, Aspects of Love) is returning to Chichester this summer in a new production of Mack & Mabel. Directed by Jonathan Church, the classic musical comedy will run July 15 through September 5 at the Festival Theatre, with opening night set for July 21. The show will then head out on a U.K. tour.Derek McLane Has Another Beautiful NightTony and Emmy-winning production designer Derek McLane won another gong to add to his collection on January 31—a Directors Guild Award for his work on the 86th Annual Academy Awards. McLane is currently represented on the Great White Way by Beautiful: The Carole King Musical—watch below as he exclusively shares with Broadway.com the vision behind his set. You’ll soon also be able to see his designs in the upcoming Gigi and Living on Love. Sutton Foster Here’s a quick roundup of stories you may have missed today and over the weekend.Sutton Foster’s Special GuestsWe now have more details about Sutton Foster’s previously announced solo debut at Carnegie Hall as part of the New York Pops’ latest season! The two-time Tony winner will be joined by special guest artists Joshua Henry and Megan McGinnis on March 13. Whatever they have in store for the Big Apple, it looks like it’ll be toe-tappingly good fun—check out below Foster’s Instagram pic of herself and Henry in Houston this weekend. Star Files View Comments
Press Association The 25-year-old had to wait until December to win his first tournament of 2013 at Royal Sydney, denying home favourite Adam Scott the triple crown after the Masters champion had won the Australian PGA and Australian Masters. Twelve months on McIlroy returns to Sydney – albeit a different golf course – already thinking about completing a career grand slam in the Masters next April and brimming with confidence. “This year has been full of ups and downs, mainly ups, which is a great thing,” said McIlroy, who won the BMW PGA Championship in May just days after calling off his wedding to tennis star Caroline Wozniacki. “I learned a lot from it and I feel like I came through this year stronger and wiser, and I can go into 2015 in a much better place. I’m happy with the success that I’ve had and I feel like there’s been a lot that I’ve learned this year, as well, and that’s a great thing going into the future. “This week’s a big week. I want to go down there and play well and do a good job with defending my title. After that I’ve got a pretty busy week. I’m not playing golf but I’ve got a few other commitments and things to do. “But I’ll have a little bit of downtime over Christmas and New Year, which will be nice. I’ll start practising again early on in the new year and getting ready for Abu Dhabi.” McIlroy has now spent a total of 56 weeks as world number one during his career and feels he has finally come to grips with the responsibility which accompanies such a lofty position. “I used to be uncomfortable,” added McIlroy, who is in his fifth spell at the top of the rankings. “You get to the point where there’s added scrutiny and there’s added criticism or whatever it is. “But I learned to deal with it. It’s just part of the title now, world number one. That’s what it comes with. I’ve become comfortable with it. “I’ve spent more than a year of my career at world number one, so if I’m not used to it by now, then there’s something wrong. I obviously enjoy it. It’s where I want to be. I want to be the best player in the world and I want to keep it for as long as I possibly can.” Rory McIlroy will look to successfully defend the title which kickstarted his resurgence at this week’s Australian Open in Sydney. Given the world number one’s brilliant performances this year, which brought major victories in the Open and US PGA Championship and two other wins, it is hard to believe just how bad 2013 was in comparison. McIlroy struggled to adapt to his new equipment, fell out with his management company and walked off the course during his defence of the Honda Classic, not to mention labelling his own play “brain dead” when missing the cut in the Open at Muirfield.
– No meetings for the past 10 months since Ouditt demitted officeCONSTANT bickering has left the Guyana Horse Racing Authority (GHRA) racing to a new low as executive members have not met to discuss GHRA’sbusiness for the past 10 months.Vickram Ouditt, the last president of the GHRA told Chronicle Sport that he demitted office in February this year following the expiration of his term, but officials of that body say they have not been officially notified.Ouditt was elected President of the horse racing body at the Annual General Meeting on February 9, 2014; and according to the GHRA, new elections are due every year.However, Ouditt is claiming that after his term in office expired,he decided not to seek re-election to the top post, and as such he had informed some members of the racing authority of his decision.To this end, acting secretary of the body, Chattergoon Ramnauth,told Chronicle Sport that Ouditt has never informed him as secretary or any other member of the authority of his decision.“The fact is, we at the GHRA never had a meeting since February this year,” Ramnauth said. He added “Elections were supposed to be in February, but truly speaking I have no idea.In my opinion the GHRA is non-functional at this time because no meetings were held nor was there any form of discussion;be it oral or written”.Ouditt, who replaced Justice Cecil Kennard as president, had faced a torrent of criticisms from the horsing racing fraternity ever since he was first elected president of the body, when the sport was resuscitated almost a decade ago.Things went well for some time. However, because of the attitude of certain members of the authority,he did not seek re-election at election time.Khemraj Rai succeeded him as president and carried on for about six months.Unfortunately,differences arose between members of the authority. He resigned as he felt that he was not getting full support from some of the members;fter which Kennard was elected.While the sport has become one of the major sporting disciplines locally, the backbiting within the body is one reason the sport has not been a bigger success story in Guyana.The lack of adequate legislation is another reason the sport is not properly run.Dubbed the ‘Sport of Kings’, horse racing, since its resuscitation locally, has been operating under a legal document that was registered under the miscellaneous Deeds Act.But back in 2014, a key step to regularise the sport was taken when the then Legal Advisor to the Guyana Horse Racing Authority (GHRA), Rajendra Poonai, handed over a draft legislation on the sport to then Sports Minister Dr. Frank Anthony.Nothing much was done by the previous administration with regards to the implementation of the legislation.However, the present Government cannot escape their fair share of criticism since a copy of a horse racing legislation has been with the government for some time now.In fact, an official from the GHRA has confirmed that the copy was handed over to the National Sport Commission late last year but remained sceptical about the status of the document.Assistant Director of Sport,Brian Smith,confirmed that NSC had indeed received the document which was sent to the Attorney General Chambers.The draft Guyana Horse Racing Authority Act which will allow the sport to run more effectively and to deal with violators includes:increasing the membership of the Racing Authority from nine to 15; including the Bush Lot United Turf Club as a member of the GHRA and implementing a two-year term for members of the Authority.The legislation which was championed by former GHRA president Justice Cecil Kennard, will also give the GHRA the power to schedule race dates for race meetings in the event that a club is unable to run off a race meeting.