Cornwell suspends campaign for congress, announces run for Broome County Family Court Judge

first_img(WBNG) — Former Broome County District Attorney Steve Cornwell announced Friday morning that he will be running for Broome County Family Court Judge in the November 2020 election. Cornwell previously announced a run to represent New York’s 22nd Congressional District. He says he is suspending that campaign. In a press release Friday morning, Cornwell explained his decision to not run for congress saying, “The politicians in Washington can fight over who will serve in Congress – I’ve never been a politician — and my focus will remain on the children and families in Broome County.” In the release, Cornwell says he put resource officers in schools, oversaw changes to New York law for charges moved to Family Court and made strategies to aid child victims. The election for Family Court Judge is November 3, 2020.last_img read more

Virus-hit province rewards doctors’ children with extra exam points

first_imgMore than 32,000 medical workers from elsewhere in China have been sent to the province as reinforcement, Hubei’s government said at a press conference Tuesday.Others argued the children themselves were undeserving of the reward.”It is not appropriate for the child to benefit from their parent’s devotion,” one user wrote.”This would lead to education unfairness.” Topics : Children of China’s frontline medical workers battling the deadly coronavirus will be awarded extra exam points when applying for schools and higher education, local officials said Tuesday.Doctors and nurses in Hubei province — where the outbreak originated and which has reported the majority of deaths — have been lionized online and by state media.China’s schooling system places a major emphasis on exams, and even younger children face extreme competition to get into top schools that parents believe will raise their chances of getting into a good university.center_img The measures will “further care for the province’s frontline medical staff” and encourage them to be more “resolute” in their fight to contain the virus, the province said in a statement.Children of medical workers applying for high school this year can receive an additional 10 points in their entrance exams, while younger children will be prioritized for admission at public kindergartens, according to officials.Although millions expressed their grief online when whistleblowing doctor Li Wenliang died — with other medical workers’ deaths similarly mourned on a smaller scale — Chinese social media users complained it was unfair to reward only medical staff in Hubei.”Bonus points are already unfair, but only offering it to Hubei staff makes it even more unfair to other provinces because they all went there to help,” one user on the Twitter-like Weibo platform wrote.last_img read more

ABS-CBN TO SC: SolGen’s gag order plea violates press freedom

first_img Solicitor General Jose Calida invoked the sub judice rule prohibiting parties from discussing the merits of the case while a case pending in court in asking for a gag order. “An information is only as useful as it can be understood. This is especially true in cases involving complex legal issues,” it added. In their response to OSG’s motion, the ABS-CBN and ABS-CBN Convergence, Inc. said the sub judice rule should not be applied “to impair, through prior restraint, the fundamental freedoms of speech and of the press that serve as bedrocks of a democratic society.” The OSG earlier pleaded before the high court to issue a gag order against the media network, its subsidiary and “persons acting on their behalf” in connection with the quo warranto petition against them. “Will the gag order apply to the entire Filipino people? The government is part of the Republic. Will all government officials and employees be covered by the gag order?” it asked. “A gag order is a form of prior restraint – an official governmental restriction in advance of actual publication and dissemination – that violates freedom of expression and of the press,” it added. Calida’s contention said that ABS-CBN engages in propaganda by publishing videos and reports allegedly tending to “influence public opinion and unfairly encourage pre-judgment of the case.” ABS-CBN also said the gag order the OSG is asking from the high court is vague and overbroad as it is not clear who will be covered by the gag order because the “Republic,” in whose behalf the OSG brought the petition, includes the Filipino people. ABS-CBN also denied Calida’s allegation that the network is engaging in propaganda by publishing commentaries in its favor. Prior restraint, the network argued, is only allowed in 4 instances: pornography, false or misleading advertisement, advocacy of imminent lawless action and danger to national security, none of which were present in ABS-CBN’s reports. “And because what is being regulated is the content of the speech itself, the network said the gag order bears a heavy presumption of invalidity, which could only be countered by showing that there is a clear and present danger of an evil sought to be avoided,” the network said.center_img “To presume that the Members of the Honorable Court would be unable to render impartial judgment merely because of public discussion of the issues involved in the Petition is to diminish their intelligence, experience and independent thought,” ABS CBN said. Employees and supporters of ABS-CBN Corp. gather in front of the network’s headquarters in Quezon City on February 21, 2020 to show support and call on congress to renew the broadcaster’s franchise. ABS-CBN NEWS MANILA – Television broadcast giant ABS-CBN Corp insisted that the Office of the Solicitor General’s (OSG)  gag order motion against the network was not only violation of press freedom but also as deprivation of the public of a vital source of information. “’Persons acting on their behalf’ is also vague. Would anyone making public statements in favor or against a party be acting on their behalf?” the broadcast company said. ABS-CBN added the gag order bans all forms of discussion on the merits of the case which would create a chilling effect because the ordinary person would not know if the speech is not allowed by gag order. It added that the gag order will be difficult to impose not only in terms of monitoring statements but also because its employees have the right to speak. “The Republic failed to show how the subject publications create a clear and present danger of impairing the proceedings before this Honorable Court…No danger is, however, apparent from a mere perusal of the publications,” it added. “Indeed, the constitutional right to information on matters of public concern would be meaningless unless the people are given access to information that is comprehensible,” it said. “The sub judice rule was not intended to prohibit any discussion of any matter covered by a pending judicial proceeding,” the network’s response said. “It was created for a limited purpose—to prevent interference with, obstruction or impediment to the administration of justice and the erosion of the public’s trust in the justice system.” “The Republic recognizes ABS-CBN as one of the biggest broadcasting companies in the Philippines. Thus, a gag order against ABS-CBN would be a huge disservice to the Filipino people as it would deprive them of a vital source of information on a matter of ‘transcendental importance,’” the network said./PNlast_img read more

Brilliant Given keeps Fulham at bay

first_imgFulham 0 Aston Villa 0Aston Villa debutant Shay Given denied Fulham victory in their first Premier League match under Martin Jol.Goalkeeper Given, a £4m capture from Manchester City, kept Jol’s side at bay with a number of fine saves. AdChoices广告Summer signing John Arne Riise should have marked his league debut for Fulham with a goal after only nine minutes.The Norwegian galloped down the left and was allowed time and space to latch onto Danny Murphy’s perfect pass, only to blast over the bar.Villa missed a good chance of their own when Mark Schwarzer was able to comfortably save Emile Heskey’s tame effort after the former England man drifted away from Philippe Senderos to meet Richard Dunne’s ball into the box.Defender James Collins should also have opened the scoring for Villa but missed the target from close range after being found by Charles N’Zogbia’s cross.Stiliyan Petrov then smashed just over Schwarzer’s bar, before a mistake by Collins at the other end let in Andrew Johnson, whose shot was parried by Given.The Irishman, making his first Premier League appearance for 16 months, produced an even better stop just after half-time.Johnson nudged Damien Duff’s right-wing cross on to Zamora, and Given did brilliantly to deny the former Tottenham striker from six yards.Given thwarted Zamora twice more, first by saving his header and then keeping out his shot after he had been set up by Murphy.Villa, playing their first game under new manager Alex McLeish, rarely threatened in the second half.The closest they came to nicking a winner was when Heskey pulled the ball back for Marc Albrighton to fire into the side netting.last_img read more